TIPS ON THROWING AN OSCARS PARTY
By: Michael Simon, Beverage Director
- Get Your Guests Excited About The Event
In your invite, let the guests know there will be a fun competition! Everyone will have Ballots and choose their pick for every single award before the show starts. For a light-hearted prize, suggest each guest bring a bottle of wine, or beer, or spirit they are fond of to be the bounty for the big winner! Orchestrating prizes of this nature keeps the mood light, and offers a much more mindful touch than cash.
- Cocktails From the Get-Go
Have a welcome cocktail ready as your guests arrive; something luxurious and festive will set the mood for a star-studded evening. Try this…
The Golden Statue
- .5 oz Rothman & Winter Apricot Liqueur
- 1 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac
- 2 Dashes Orange Bitters ( I love using ‘The Bitter Truth’ brand)
- Ruinart Blanc des Blanc Champagne
- Method: in a shaker tin, combine all ingredients save for the champagne, and fill halfway with ice; very quick shake and strain into a Champagne Flute… top off with Champagne
- Offset The Boring Stuff
The Ceremony is a blast… but it is long. To keep everyone engaged perhaps set a tongue-in-cheek stipulation
- G.: whenever any musical number comes on (planned or unplanned everyone takes a shot.
- In this case, we want to have fun, but be safe and responsible, so I suggest making something low ABV and easy-drinking:
- And The Winner Is: MOSCOW MULE SHOTS!
- .5 oz Absolut Elyx vodka
- .25 oz fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 oz of your favorite ginger beer: I love Fentiman’s
- Method: combine in a small glass, make a quick stir, and enjoy!
- Have A Communal Drink Themed To One Of The Films
Now, during the ceremony: A communal offering is very apropos; something bright that will put a smile on everyone’s face. In this instance, there’s nothing more fitting than Rum Punch!
Mad Max: Fury Bowl
- 1 bottle Cana Brava Rum
- 1/2 bottle Cherry Heering
- 1 /2 bottle Pierre Ferrand Dry Orange Curacao
- 2 oz Absinthe: I prefer Vieux Pontralier
- 20 shakes Angostura Bitters
- 1 bottle Small Hand Foods Pineapple Syrup ( smallhandfoods.com
- 16 ounces fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 32 ounces club soda: I love Fever Tree
- Method: combine all elements except the club soda in a large Punch Bowl, then add a few generous scoops of crushed ice and stir vigorously; afterward top with club soda, stir lightly again, then add a medley of diced fruit of your choice!
- Be Sure To Feed Your Guests
Regarding food: keep it simple. Your guests are going to graze, converse, and enjoy the show. In this instance: Charcuterie, Cheese, Artisanal Bread / Crackers / Accoutrements, Smoked Salmon, Antipasti Grilled Vegetables… all of this will wow your party and allow everyone to feel comfortable and eat at their own pace.